Wednesday, March 12, 2008

More than a "wee bit silly"

Hillary: (to CNN last Wednesday) "I helped to bring peace to Northern Ireland."

The Telegraph wrote this in response to Hillary's claim that her experience includes brokering peace in Northern Ireland. (I'm a little late posting it, sorry.)

Lord Trimble of Lisnagarvey: (Nobel Peace Prize winner and former First Minister of the province) said Hillary was a "wee bit silly" for exaggerating the part she played in bringing peace to Northern Ireland. "I don’t know there was much she did apart from accompanying Bill going around. I don’t want to rain on the thing for her but being a cheerleader for something is slightly different from being a principal player."

Hillary: I remember a meeting that I pulled together in Belfast, in the town hall there, bringing together for the first time Catholics and Protestants from both traditions...it was only in large measure because I really asked them to come that they were there.

And I wasn’t sure it was going to be very successful and finally a Catholic woman on one side of the table said, ’You know, every time my husband leaves for work in the morning I worry he won’t come home at night.

And then a Protestant woman on the other side said, ’Every time my son tries to go out at night I worry he won’t come home again’. And suddenly instead of seeing each other as caricatures and stereotypes they saw each other as human beings and the slow, hard work of peace-making could move forward.

Telegraph: There is no record of a meeting at Belfast City Hall, though Mrs Clinton attended a ceremony there when her husband turned on the Christmas tree lights in November 1995.

The article doesn't provide a lot of support for the following sentence, but it's too good to leave out:

Steven King, a negotiator with Lord Trimble’s Ulster Unionist Party, argued that Mrs Clinton might even have helped delay the chances of peace.


Is it appropriate to launch my first LOL into the blogosphere?

So. There you go. Her experience is not in Northern Ireland but in political spinning.

No comments: